Hay Festival Project: Experiments with Style

After my feedback from Hay Festival people, I decided to experiment a bit further with the style I have been using for some of my drawings. In these images I have used a variety of different materials, but I think the images using pastels have come out best in a way.

I especially like how the bird has come out, this bird was an experiment using feedback from Hay Festival. They liked my birds from before, and also the trees, but felt that stylistically they did not go together. To combat this problem I used the same materials I have been using to create my trees to create my birds too. In this case, the style has been dictated by the materials I’ve used. My next step in this project will be further developing this and creating more images.

Advertisements

Hay Festival Project: Feedback

Recently we had our client come view our work to see how it was getting along. To accommodate this each of us created a mood board from the work we have created so far. Here is the mood board I created.

17474076_1010266889116773_498494696_o

I included a bunch of different type of experimental work on this board, using a wide variety of styles and materials.

The feedback I got from the representatives from Hay was helpful. They really liked the more messy looking tree I created form oil pastels, but didn’t like the trees with straight, angular tree branches (like the one on the very right at the top, nest to the birds) because they looked sort of “bone like”. I can understand where they are coming from, I personally think these are the least effective trees I made from this selection.

They also really liked the birds in the top, but stylistically they did not match the trees, so they suggested I could recreate the birds in a style to match the style of the trees.

Another idea they thought I could look at, since I was interested in drawing birds, is to look at the way trees are used as shelter for the birds. Birds build nests and feed young in trees, their entire lives depend on them. I thought this was an interesting approach to the topic and will have to look further into this idea.

 

Hay Festival Project: Trees

For our new brief, we have been asked to provide some illustrations for the Hay festival at Hay-on-Wye to decorate the hallways between the tents. The Hay Festival is a literature festival, and is basically a tent village hosting talks by various people, including people like Stephen Fry and Tracy Emin, and many many others.

The themes we have been given is trees, and the Hay Festivals 30th anniversary. Although, they have asked to focus mostly on the tree theme. This is because Hay Festival were giving out 30 acres worth of trees to celebrate the anniversary, since the idea has first started, it has expanded into much more than just 30 acres worth of trees.

I started out by brainstorming the themes and ideas that could tie into imagery for an illustration. Things I have thought about while brainstorming ideas are:

  • respond to a quote or a piece of literature
  • animals live in/around trees, look at wildlife
  • tree symbolism growth and sustainability
17500042_1011367519006710_412773492_o
Brainstorming!

After a bit of brainstorming I started playing with some shapes and colours, creating some possible tree shapes. Since the final illustration will be very large and will be seen up close and from a distance, I think having something that is simple, yet still has some finer details will work best for this brief. I will have to experiment further with this idea and see if I can come up with some effective results.

17500195_1011367525673376_206585821_o
Starting out with shapes and colours

 

 

Book Cover: To Kill A Mockingbird

I started out making this book cover by researching a bit into the book, To Kill a Mockingbird. I ended up watching the movie of it, and that’s where I got the inspiration to create this cover. At the end of the movie the two children are walking back home through the woods on Halloween night after a party, and to avoid much spoiler, a key moment happens in that scenery.

For this illustration I used freehand pental brush pen for the lines, and painted it using windsor and newton watercolours. I then scanned them in and created the final book cover in photoshop. The text I used for this I had also drawn with the same ink brush, to match the style of the illustration. I had decided to keep the colour pallet simple, using only a yellow ocher and a dark blue to reflect on the theme of a late autumn night.

I am mostly happy with how the final product has come out, but I’m not quite happy with the spine of the book, on reflection I think i should have added a strip of watercolour to create a wrap around of the two images and to bring it all together, but then again at least having the text on a solid background on the spine makes it easier to read.

Another idea that I didn’t implement was including a drawing of Scout in her ham costume running away through the woods. I think including this would of possibly brought the image and story together well.

For this book cover project I had also tried out recycling one of my previous images into a cover for this book, using the image from this editorial project. You can see this image below.

tkamprintbookcoveronline

I am mostly happy enough with this cover trial, but if I had given myself more time to work on this I would of scanned in some brown paper to use as background instead of just block colour, and I would of re-scanned in the hand written text I had used, because the text in this image was at a lower resolution and could not be made much larger without loosing quality. It was a nice experiment with a previous image, and was a good exercise in using photoshop.