Collections: Winged Keys and Final Plans

My collection of brooches has sort of morphed in to keys. I was given a box of decorative keys and buttons and nick-nacks from a friend, and because I was starting to get a little bored of drawing my badges, I had a go at drawing the keys.

After a couple of sketches and doodles, and a chat with tutor and classmates about my work, the idea of combining some elements of my drawings together started to take form. Using my wings from my dragonfly brooch, and my sketches of keys, and some inspiration from Harry Potter, we came up with the idea of illustrating the winged keys from harry potter.

I had a go at drawing some of these keys using one of my favorite drawing mediums, dip pen and ink.

keysskbk

I think these sketches were quite successful, and am thinking about going on to do some prints of magic winged keys for my final exhibition piece. I think etching or collograph printing may work best for this work, so I can get in the fine detail on the wings and keys. I may also try out doing some using lino cuts too, just to see how they would look.

18237891_1040743502735778_3903702692029541816_o

I have also made a small pinterest mood board for these keys which you can find here.

Book Cover: To Kill A Mockingbird

I started out making this book cover by researching a bit into the book, To Kill a Mockingbird. I ended up watching the movie of it, and that’s where I got the inspiration to create this cover. At the end of the movie the two children are walking back home through the woods on Halloween night after a party, and to avoid much spoiler, a key moment happens in that scenery.

For this illustration I used freehand pental brush pen for the lines, and painted it using windsor and newton watercolours. I then scanned them in and created the final book cover in photoshop. The text I used for this I had also drawn with the same ink brush, to match the style of the illustration. I had decided to keep the colour pallet simple, using only a yellow ocher and a dark blue to reflect on the theme of a late autumn night.

I am mostly happy with how the final product has come out, but I’m not quite happy with the spine of the book, on reflection I think i should have added a strip of watercolour to create a wrap around of the two images and to bring it all together, but then again at least having the text on a solid background on the spine makes it easier to read.

Another idea that I didn’t implement was including a drawing of Scout in her ham costume running away through the woods. I think including this would of possibly brought the image and story together well.

For this book cover project I had also tried out recycling one of my previous images into a cover for this book, using the image from this editorial project. You can see this image below.

tkamprintbookcoveronline

I am mostly happy enough with this cover trial, but if I had given myself more time to work on this I would of scanned in some brown paper to use as background instead of just block colour, and I would of re-scanned in the hand written text I had used, because the text in this image was at a lower resolution and could not be made much larger without loosing quality. It was a nice experiment with a previous image, and was a good exercise in using photoshop.