After some tutor feedback, I’ve decided to go ahead and create some large illustrations made up of many smaller illustrations, akin to something like Alice Puttello, or possibly Jonny Hannah. Both artists use folk art as a big source of inspiration, and both of them have different ways of bringing it in to contemporary illustration that I admire.
(You can find Alice Puttello’s site here.)
(You can find Johnny Hannah’s site here.)
I had lots of little visual ideas for “The Horned Women”, but was struggling massivly putting everything together into one big idea. There was a problem with all my thumbnails and things so far; there wasn’t any obvious or strong narrative going on. It was just a lot of little things put together. So to help myself out I went back and looked again at other illustrators work to see what they were doing right and I was doing wrong.
Figuring out a possible way to illustrate all 12 witches?
Messing around with ideas/compositions/things
Figuring out how to put the little ideas together in to one big idea…
This is where I had an “ah-ha!” moment. I had nearly forgotten about the small drawing I did of the two witches approaching the house, and looking at Alice Puttellos illustrations, I could see how I could put these ideas I had floating around in to a working composition. In this thumbnail here, I have the witches arriving at the house in the middle, surrounded by the objects and things the mistress uses to break the spell. So here I could combine the two ideas to have something like a complete idea that can visualize two parts of the story. I’ve finally settled on an illustrative plan that I’m happy enough to attempt to go ahead with.
My collection of brooches has sort of morphed in to keys. I was given a box of decorative keys and buttons and nick-nacks from a friend, and because I was starting to get a little bored of drawing my badges, I had a go at drawing the keys.
After a couple of sketches and doodles, and a chat with tutor and classmates about my work, the idea of combining some elements of my drawings together started to take form. Using my wings from my dragonfly brooch, and my sketches of keys, and some inspiration from Harry Potter, we came up with the idea of illustrating the winged keys from harry potter.
I had a go at drawing some of these keys using one of my favorite drawing mediums, dip pen and ink.
I think these sketches were quite successful, and am thinking about going on to do some prints of magic winged keys for my final exhibition piece. I think etching or collograph printing may work best for this work, so I can get in the fine detail on the wings and keys. I may also try out doing some using lino cuts too, just to see how they would look.
I have also made a small pinterest mood board for these keys which you can find here.
Up until this point I have mostly been experimenting using different medias, including various pens, pencils and paints. I have been using my collection to base these experimental drawings from, which are mostly just brooches right now.
We had a group tutorial feedback session, filling out feedback forms for each other, noting down what was successful and what needed some work, and possibly what things they could do to improve their work. The feedback I got was:
- One thing that was said a couple of times is that I needed to do more research, in to collections and artist research too.
- Another person commented on my watercolor/ink drawings, and suggested that it might be a good idea to scan them in and experiment adding different colors and shapes to them digitally.
- Create mind maps to help figure out which direction to take my work in.
- More through annotation to explain my thoughts about my work, and where I am going with it.
- Continue working on final outcome plan, and to make a note of explaining why I am doing the things I am doing.
I will take all this feedback in to consideration and use it to improve on my project.
After my feedback from Hay Festival people, I decided to experiment a bit further with the style I have been using for some of my drawings. In these images I have used a variety of different materials, but I think the images using pastels have come out best in a way.
I especially like how the bird has come out, this bird was an experiment using feedback from Hay Festival. They liked my birds from before, and also the trees, but felt that stylistically they did not go together. To combat this problem I used the same materials I have been using to create my trees to create my birds too. In this case, the style has been dictated by the materials I’ve used. My next step in this project will be further developing this and creating more images.
Recently we had our client come view our work to see how it was getting along. To accommodate this each of us created a mood board from the work we have created so far. Here is the mood board I created.
I included a bunch of different type of experimental work on this board, using a wide variety of styles and materials.
The feedback I got from the representatives from Hay was helpful. They really liked the more messy looking tree I created form oil pastels, but didn’t like the trees with straight, angular tree branches (like the one on the very right at the top, nest to the birds) because they looked sort of “bone like”. I can understand where they are coming from, I personally think these are the least effective trees I made from this selection.
They also really liked the birds in the top, but stylistically they did not match the trees, so they suggested I could recreate the birds in a style to match the style of the trees.
Another idea they thought I could look at, since I was interested in drawing birds, is to look at the way trees are used as shelter for the birds. Birds build nests and feed young in trees, their entire lives depend on them. I thought this was an interesting approach to the topic and will have to look further into this idea.