The exhibition private viewing went rather smoothly, with no mishaps. Putting the exhibit up was pretty stress free too, everyone chipped in and helped get their work up ready, and make the place look presentable.
I have three collograph prints on display, two A5 ones in one frame, and one A4 one in a frame by itself. I managed to make some handmade business cards to match my work the night before, creating some stamps for the social media logos and the design on the back. I also have my collection of brooches and decorative keys on display, to illustrate where the original ideas originated from in my work.
I am quite happy with the final work I managed to create for this exhibit, my favorite print being the large one to the left. With this one I think I managed to get the ink consistency just right, the others have a bit too much, but in a way it makes them look kind of atmospheric. I will eventually improve my technique with practice, I am making a mental note to get myself in to the print room and create more work, even just to experiment.
I have some work in this exhibit, it’ll be on from a week starting next Tuesday at De Koffie Pot in Hereford. All the work is inspired by each of our own collections, and mines is based off some brooches and keys I have. The poster was created by all of us as a big drawing, Nicholas did a great job of stitching it all together to create this beautiful poster. Hopefully you can come by and see all of our work 🙂
My collection of brooches has sort of morphed in to keys. I was given a box of decorative keys and buttons and nick-nacks from a friend, and because I was starting to get a little bored of drawing my badges, I had a go at drawing the keys.
After a couple of sketches and doodles, and a chat with tutor and classmates about my work, the idea of combining some elements of my drawings together started to take form. Using my wings from my dragonfly brooch, and my sketches of keys, and some inspiration from Harry Potter, we came up with the idea of illustrating the winged keys from harry potter.
I had a go at drawing some of these keys using one of my favorite drawing mediums, dip pen and ink.
I think these sketches were quite successful, and am thinking about going on to do some prints of magic winged keys for my final exhibition piece. I think etching or collograph printing may work best for this work, so I can get in the fine detail on the wings and keys. I may also try out doing some using lino cuts too, just to see how they would look.
I have also made a small pinterest mood board for these keys which you can find here.
The first thing I do with any new project is to create a pinterest board, or basically a mood board, of things that might visually relate to the project. I find pinterest a very useful tool for this, but the biggest downside to using an image gathering site like this is that images are sometimes not sourced properly. So sometimes I will find some art I really like, but will have no idea who made it. (On the upside tho, a reverse image search on google usually does the trick.)
You can find my pinterest board for this module here.
We have been given a new module, and its about collections. We have been asked to gather a collection, weather one we already have or one we can create to create drawings and illustrations from.
I already had a small handful of brooches I had collected from various nick-knack shops and have received as gifts, but I only had about five altogether, and have since then fleshed out the collection with a few more from charity shops. The image here excludes most of my enamel badges, because I thought the collection had more variety and interesting features just as mostly brooches. It’ll be interesting to see what I can develop from this collection.