Poppies at the Skate-park

Above is my design for the poppy project at the skate-park we had to do. We were asked by the British legion to decorate the skate-park with our own designs of poppy’s to help launch poppy day in Hereford. The reason why it was at the skate park is because they wanted to appeal more to the youth of Hereford and its surrounding areas.

I came to my final poppy design through a lot of experimentation. I started off with a very detailed design but after trying out the design as a stencil I felt it wasn’t as strong of an idea when put to use. The small details of the first idea weren’t successful when seen from a distance and overall didn’t quite look like a recognizable poppy. So because of this, I tried my best to simplify my shapes and get to the most basic, but effective, looking design.

Through my pages of experimenting I had a small light-bulb moment and came up with the idea of a negative poppy. So up close my design looked like a small field of red poppies with a space but from a distance its a large red background with negative space poppies.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Advertisements

Blacksmith Project – Experimental Zine

This project for me has been a bit of an experiment. I was a little lost as to what to do and where to go with this brief so just decided to go for it and treat it as if it was a book arts project so I could get something produced.

I started out by trying my hand at stencil making, taking the shape from Jordan’s’ work and creating a pattern. I tried layering this stencil over some basic line drawings just to see how it would look, and also on to orange ink. I created two postcards using this pattern because I wanted to see what something like this would look like as a promotional print product. I like the textures I’ve created with this little experiment but overall I think its too much a pattern/textile design than an illustration.

My next direction with this project came about from just photocopying this one page from my sketchbook into different colours and then drawing on top of it to create a multilayered drawing. I used my knowledge from experimenting with the photocopier in second year and just went wild with it. I made multiple layers just drawing and photocopying repeatedly. The more layers to the illustration I created the more interesting looking it became.

SKM_C30817111514061

Some results from my experimenting turned out better than others, I think the one without the block purple colour has something more interesting going on visually, but as an illustration, its still not quite working. As a fun little zine though, it sorta works.

To try and push it a little further, I photocopied and filled in the background colour, and I also tried out the negative setting. While it gave me interesting results it still is missing something that makes it a sophisticated illustration. In the end I think this was a fun little experiment to try out but it hasn’t gotten the results I wanted from it.

An option I have thought about trying is to take the successful parts of this design and recreate it as a screen print. I haven’t done any screen printing since my time back doing my art and design degree in college, so it might be something fun to try out again when I get the time for it, but for now this was a fun experimental thing.

Poetry Book

My submission for the poetry book got accepted, and here is my finished illustration with the poem it was illustrating

I wanted to do something a little different for this poem, I didn’t just want to illustrate a “haunted house” so I took the inspiration from the last line and illustrated a room in a house with three small translucent ghost mice hiding around the room, with a happy sleeping cat on the windowsill.

The style of this illustration is a bit different from normal for me, but I thought I’d try something a bit more formal, and experiment with more colour.

Exhibition of Illustration

 

We had a little exhibition showcasing year one, two and threes illustration work. It included something from everyone, everyone chose one piece of work that they had done and included it in the exhibition. On the table in the center of the room is our book arts books (from us second years). The opening night went really well and lots of people turned up, hopefully everything will go just as well with our next exhibition in May.

de koffie pot exhibition

Library Pamphlet

This image was created for Hereford Library Pamphlet brief/competition. I was not happy enough with it to hand in for the competition but looking back on it now I probably should’ve at least tried. In the end, I’m proud I went ahead and finished it anyway.

My original idea was to add lots more detail, but it was taking too much time so I tried having a go at simplifying the work, and using a limited color palette to match. I created this image traditionally but I think this would’ve been a more effective image if I had colored it in digitally, using flat colors.

I attempted doing something sort of minimalist but still had lots of little details creating some form of narrative to the image, like the blankets and tea, and the cat sleeping on the window ledge. I included a couple of little nods to Hereford with the small cow ornament and the bowl of apples.

An extra detail I was going to add but decided against in the end, was to add drawings of Herefordshire country side through the windows, to bring together the themes of Herefordshire and reading together.