Above is my design for the poppy project at the skate-park we had to do. We were asked by the British legion to decorate the skate-park with our own designs of poppy’s to help launch poppy day in Hereford. The reason why it was at the skate park is because they wanted to appeal more to the youth of Hereford and its surrounding areas.
I came to my final poppy design through a lot of experimentation. I started off with a very detailed design but after trying out the design as a stencil I felt it wasn’t as strong of an idea when put to use. The small details of the first idea weren’t successful when seen from a distance and overall didn’t quite look like a recognizable poppy. So because of this, I tried my best to simplify my shapes and get to the most basic, but effective, looking design.
Through my pages of experimenting I had a small light-bulb moment and came up with the idea of a negative poppy. So up close my design looked like a small field of red poppies with a space but from a distance its a large red background with negative space poppies.