This project for me has been a bit of an experiment. I was a little lost as to what to do and where to go with this brief so just decided to go for it and treat it as if it was a book arts project so I could get something produced.
I started out by trying my hand at stencil making, taking the shape from Jordan’s’ work and creating a pattern. I tried layering this stencil over some basic line drawings just to see how it would look, and also on to orange ink. I created two postcards using this pattern because I wanted to see what something like this would look like as a promotional print product. I like the textures I’ve created with this little experiment but overall I think its too much a pattern/textile design than an illustration.
My next direction with this project came about from just photocopying this one page from my sketchbook into different colours and then drawing on top of it to create a multilayered drawing. I used my knowledge from experimenting with the photocopier in second year and just went wild with it. I made multiple layers just drawing and photocopying repeatedly. The more layers to the illustration I created the more interesting looking it became.
Some results from my experimenting turned out better than others, I think the one without the block purple colour has something more interesting going on visually, but as an illustration, its still not quite working. As a fun little zine though, it sorta works.
To try and push it a little further, I photocopied and filled in the background colour, and I also tried out the negative setting. While it gave me interesting results it still is missing something that makes it a sophisticated illustration. In the end I think this was a fun little experiment to try out but it hasn’t gotten the results I wanted from it.
An option I have thought about trying is to take the successful parts of this design and recreate it as a screen print. I haven’t done any screen printing since my time back doing my art and design degree in college, so it might be something fun to try out again when I get the time for it, but for now this was a fun experimental thing.