I’m gonna be honest, weekly posts about this module would’ve been ideal, because almost every week we have created a new book or learnt a new technique. So to try and make up for it I’m giving a quick update on a handful of the completed books I’ve done so far.
This was the first book of the module, a basic pamphlet style book made from a collection of different papers. I then collaged and drew letters and managed to fit the entire alphabet in here twice because I used so many papers. The papers I used included origami paper, old bank envelopes, brown paper and envelopes, among other things, along with a piece of string to tie it all together with.
The second book of the module (I think) was this one. We were given the theme of “Journey”, so for this book I took a nice walk around the college grounds and took some photos of things that interested me. I also gathered things together like leaves and twigs and photocopied these things to collage together with my images.
I tried to explore the theme of “Journey” we were given, using the collected items and photos I had. After experimenting a bit with collage I created some dreamlike images by combining different elements of multiple photos. I really like how some of the collage aspects came out and thought it sort of reflected the way you would remember something; how it would become sort of jumbled and you would only remember specific things that had caught your eye at the time.
Celebrating Books, Libraries and Book Shops
For this particular book arts book we had to interview either a book shop seller or a librarian and either a classmate or a friend about books. I interviewed a librarian at Hereford Library pop up shop in the Town Hall and my old friend who I grew up with sharing a lot of the same books. I then picked out quotes and facts from these interviews to include in my zine and draw inspiration from.
For this book we had the theme “How to…” something. I decided to go with “How To be a Cat”. It originally started out as “How To Look After a Cat” but I thought the other title was more fun. We also had to have a very limited color pallet of only three colors, so I tried to use a simple style to work with the simplicity of the color pallet. Using basic shapes like this helped free myself up from getting preoccupied with the details and let me experiment more with the composition and balance of the images instead.